Monday, July 10, 2006

If you disappeared
by Pastor Tony


The question I continually ask myself as I plant this church is “What would happen to our community if our church disappeared?” I really think a church is to be involved in the community. There should be some marked and positive effect on the community because we are there. It may not be huge. It might be subtle. But something good should come from the church existing. Each church, I think, has specific God-given objectives, some objectives are universal to all churches, and some are specific for each church individually. But ultimately, the church should have an impact. And if that church disappeared, there would be some obvious vacuum. For instance, if a church has a dynamic homeless ministry, if that church disappeared, there would be a huge hole in that area of ministry. If a church provides financial assistance to a crisis pregnancy center, the disappearance of that church would be felt by that ministry.

My point to all this is, what is that void that we are called to fill? And how will we fill it?